Friday, March 9, 2012

THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1965)

Studio: 20th Century Fox

Producer: Robert Wise

Director: Robert Wise

Music: Richard Rogers (Music/Lyrics), Oscar Hammerstein II (Lyrics) & Irwin Kostel (Score).

Awards: "The Sound of Music" was awarded five Oscars at the Academy Awards: Best director, Best Film Editing, Best Music, Best Picture & Best Sound. It was also nominated for: Best Actress (Julie Andrews), Best Supporting Actress (Peggy Wood), Best Art Direction, Best Cinematography & Best Costume Design. It has also been award ten other achievements with nominations for an additional five.

Interesting Fact: Jeanette MacDonald was considered for the role of Mother Abess, but her failing health did not allow her to participate. She died a month before the film was released.

My Favorite Scene: The sequence of "The Lonely Goatherd" is my favorite along with "So Long, Farewell" after the party. Putting the music aside, any scene involving the war and the influence of Nazi Germany is my favorite.

I must admit that the reason this is one of my favorite is the historical data that surrounds the singing and dancing. If there was a musical about D-day I would probably watch that too. The other aspect that I love is the size of the family and that they sang and performed together. I am also from a large family and we sang together many times, though they performed more before I was born.

Trailer

"The Lonely Goatherd"

No comments:

Post a Comment