Saturday, January 7, 2012

#7 CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS (1937)

Studio: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer

Producer: Louis D. Lighton

Director: Victor Fleming

Awards: Best Actor win for Spencer Tracy with three other nominations in the fields of Writing, Picture and Film Editing

Interesting Fact: Tracy was not excited about curling his hair for the picture. To add to this Joan Crawford nicknamed him 'Harpo Marx.'

Here is an amazing story of becoming less selfish and more caring. The movie itself impacts the audience so well as to have the same effect. This has been a favorite of mine since I was a little boy and it still touches my soul every time I see it. This is also Barrymore's last movie where he could still walk.


"I bet I know a lot of things you don't know. I know that's not french your singing."
"That's right. About ten million people know it's Portuguese."
"I bet you can't speak French."
"Right now, I sorry I speak English."

'Harvey' is a spoiled rich little boy who has always had his way. Suddenly on a cruse he falls over board and is rescued by a humble fisherman 'Manuel' (Spencer Tracy). Before he can return to land, the fishermen need to finish their work, which makes the boy even more upset. As a punishment Manuel is to care for the boy and teach him to work if possible. As the weeks and months past, the hard-hearted boy starts to soften and he begins to idealize his new master.

*Here is a scene to show the cruelty of little Harvey.


No comments:

Post a Comment