Monday, January 2, 2012

#1 THE HUMAN COMEDY (1943)


Studio: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer

Producer: Clarence Brown

Director: Clarence Brown

Awards: Academy Award for "Best Story" and nominated for "Best Actor," "Best Cinematography," "Best Director" & "Best Picture"

Interesting Fact: Louis B. Mayer suggested that this was his favorite film.

This is my all-time favorite movie and I have never really had the opportunity to discuss it with many people. At one of my previous jobs, a co-worker and I would exchange our movies to watch. I handed him this movie, on VHS, and he came in the next day very solemn. He told me that it was the best picture he had ever seen.  Immediately after, he watched it again with his whole family.

Here is a movie that covers every aspect of life from the curios discoveries of a little boy to the old man whose looked back at his life and is afraid he hasn't achieved great things. The story itself centers around Homer, a teenage telegrapher, working to support his mother after the passing of his father and while his brother serves in the war. Each scene is packed with emotion and truth as it's added on to the next and the next. This is a movie for the whole family!

The movie was just released on DVD and is also available on youtube.com under "HmnCmdy A" - "HmnCmdyL" here is a commentary from Van Johnson and another touching scene.


3 comments:

  1. I admire this movie as well...a sincere, heartfelt and realistic look at small town America. The videos you chose were powerful. This movie is a masterpiece!

    I love a great Mickey Rooney movie! I think "Night at the Museum" was a great way to bring him back into the light and maybe even spark an interest in his work within the hearts of this generation. He is still sharp as a tack! Great work, Mickey, with bringing to light the seriousness of elder abuse! Mickey had a hyper-active screen presence, always full of energy and highly entertaining

    If you take suggestions, I'd like to see a post about Mickey. He's well-deserving of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and I love suggestions. It's funny you mention it since I was going to post either on him or Van Johnson next Monday, and now I know which one to do.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete