Thursday, July 5, 2012

YANKEE DOODLE DANDY (1942)

Studio: Warner Brothers

Producer: Hal B. Wallis, Jack Warner & William Cagney

Director: Michael Curtiz

Awards: Received Best Actor for James Cagney, Best Music & Best Sound. Nominated for Best Supporting Actor (Walter Huston), Best Director, Best Film Editing, Best Picture & Best Writing. Was also given a NYFCC Award and was placed on the National Film Registry in 1993.

Release Date: June 6th, 1942

Origination: Based on the life of the Broadway show tunes writer George M. Cohan.

Interesting Fact: Before James Cagney became known as a gangster on the screen he was a dancer. He won his only Oscar for his performance in this picture and later reprised Cohan with Bob Hope in The Seven Little Foys (1955).


Cohan: "My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you."

This is a beautiful picture about an amazing man who gave this country songs to sing. I was also born on the third of July, and I've treasured this movie ever since my mother showed it to me when I was young. To see such a man with the same birthday feel a drive to show the world what we stand for, has influenced me greatly. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to dance down steps like he did at the end of the movie. This film gave me a greater love for James Cagney as an actor, George Cohan as a songwriter and America as a country of opportunity and liberty. This is a must see for every American.

HAVE YOU SEEN THIS MOVIE?


1 comment:

  1. This is one of my all time favorite movies. Thank you. It is usually shown on TCM every 4th of July and I watch it - if just to see James Cagney in this great musical role.

    ReplyDelete