Thursday, July 26, 2012

AUDIE MURPHY

Here I go again, changing up what I said I would do before. I've changed my mind on what to finish off this month on and I think you'll enjoy it.

I am in the process of creating a collection of actors who served in the military. So far the list is large and I hope to have it done before the week is through. In today's post I wanted to talk on the most decorated WWII soldier who became a movie star, Audie Murphy.

Now as I stated above, Audie Murphy was the most decorated soldier of WWII and he received thirty-three awards for his valor. With these actions he became the Sergeant Alvin C. York of the second world war. When he came back they wrote a book about his experience in the war titled To Hell and Back. The book was so successful that they turned it into a motion picture in 1955. This war soldier turned actor played his own part in the film, and it became an instant classic. Though he had been acting in other films before, this picture was to be the one that launched him among the stars.

From his Texas upbringing to his military experience, he found himself going from Western to War and then back to Western. His talent as an actor was not completely fine tuned at the beginning, but in the end he starred in forty-four films and became a legend of Hollywood. What a great guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment