Monday, July 23, 2012

PATRIOTIC ENDING

For the last week of July I wanted to cover the influence of Hollywood on America or vice-versa. Now before I continue I wish to divulge, for the first and maybe last time, my age. I am twenty-eight years old and I grew up with old movies in my home. For that reason alone I have created this blog to introduce these films to my own generation.

The reason why I find this fact vital is that everything I have learned, of the years gone by, has been fed to me through these entertaining films. I am the prime example of what their legacy teaches the youth in our day. You may not have noticed the little things that are different in some of the old films in comparison to our day, but, these little facts can give a young person an insight to what life used to be like.

For instance, in the film The Human Comedy (1943), we have a scene where people go to see a picture show. There is an usher with a flashlight at the entrance ready to show you to a seat. Before the show starts the United States flag is waving on the screen and a special announcement is given to update the audience on the war. These things were common occurrences in that day but they don't happen anymore and may have been forgotten about if they were not preserved on film.

We don't just see this in the films of that era, but more dramatically in the TV shows of that time. Probably the most important show to watch is the Dragnet series. They may add a little dramatization to the storyline but the stories are still true.

So I hope to point out a couple things that I have noticed in some of the films that contrast with our day. I also hope to show the influence that world wars had on the media. Many directors were immediately enlisted to create films that promoted our fight for freedom and gave us hope during those dark days. Things were done in that era that may have not happened in our day since conspiracy's have risen.

All-in-all I hope to open the treasure chest of the past and show a couple priceless items to you in a way that you may begin to cherish them to. I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment