Saturday, March 10, 2012

THE MUSIC MAN (1962)

Studio: Warner Brothers

Producer: Morton DaCosta

Director: Morton DaCosta

Music: Meredith Willson

Awards: "The Music Man" won only one Oscar for the category of Best Music. It was also nominated for: Best Art Direction, Best Costume Design, Best Film Editing, Best Picture & Best Sound. I guess that would be a little awkward if "The Music Man" didn't win at least the Best Music Academy Award. It has achieved seven other awards with nominations for an additional six.

Interesting Fact: Shirley Jones discovered she was pregnant earlier on with her son, Patrick Cassidy. No one knew but Morton the Director. Only one other person discovered it before the film was finished and that was her leading man Preston. He discovered it when going in for the kiss over the bridge and swung back asking: "What's was that!"

My Favorite Scene: Any scene with the Barbershop Quartet is my favorite. "Lida Rose" would be my favorite song. Though, I must admit, the song on the train tops the charts.

I just spoke the other day with a gentlemen who had performed this musical in a town once. When they were complete someone from the audience got up on the stage and started shaking hands with the cast. The play director approached the gentlemen, thanked him and than asked him to return to his seat. The man returned the gustier by saying: "I just want to show my appreciation since I wrote this play." The cast was stunned, here was Meredith Wilson on their stage. He had just stopped by in town, saw there flier at a gas pump and decided to show up. What a story.


This film has so much energy. It's like watching an Indiana Jones film with singing and dancing. I use to be in a Barbershop Quartet and our director would use this film to teach us the technique of each part. Each song is catchy and fun to sing. I love it.

 Trailer


No comments:

Post a Comment