Friday, April 6, 2012

HOLD THAT GHOST (1941)

Studio: Universal Pictures

Producer: Burt Kelly & Glenn Tryon

Director: Arthur Lubin

Awards: NONE

Interesting Fact: This films was intended to be their third film together, following "Buck Privates" (1941). Afraid that audiences may not take to the transition to a horror movie, they shelved the project and made "In the Navy" (1941) instead. After that film was completed, they picked this film back up and renamed it from it's original title "Oh Charlie!" to "Hold that Ghost."

My Favorite Scene: Picking my favorite scene is too difficult for this movie. I can, however, tell you my least favorite scene. When Lou runs back and forth as his room changes into a gambling hall. It is so frustrating to watch it. No one else ever sees it but him, and it happens over and over and over. I have to fast forward it every time.



Ferdie: Look, from now on, keep one eye on that candle, another eye on that one, and with the other eye WATCH ME!

To tell the truth, "Bud Abbott & Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein" (1948) is my all-time favorite of the duo's. Since it is more of a Halloween film, though, I am saving it for October. Meanwhile, I wanted to post on another favorite of mine,  "Hold that Ghost." This, along with "What's Up, Doc?" (1972), is a film my family quotes all the time. Whenever one of my nephews & nieces gain a new friend, their initiation is watching this film.

Who could have ever thought that comedy could be so scary. Very few duo's have pulled off the straight man & funny man as well as these two. They were a smash hit in their day and their films continue to send waves of laughter into ours.  It was their talent that has inspired many comedians today to perfect their art. This was the first of the films that Lou was able to show his scardy pants attitude. What a classic!




One of my many favorite scenes.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SCENE?

No comments:

Post a Comment