Sunday, April 1, 2012

MY TOP TEN COMEDIES


In honor of April Fools day, I have dedicated April to the fools of Hollywood. I have been anticipating this month since I started the blog. Below are my top ten, and I would love to hear about your own top ten to compare lists. You may notice that I did not list a Laurel & Hardy movie. I love the duo dearly and enjoy many of their short films. To keep it centered around the big films themselves, I've left them out. You can bet that there will be a post on them later this month though.

I want to give a special mention to my all-time favorite comedy, "What's Up Doc" (1972). Since this site is dedicated to the golden age of Hollywood, I felt that I needed to point more attention to the previous years before this film was made. If you have not seen this movie, it is a must see. It is based on Grant & Hepburn's, "Bringing Up Baby" (1938). In fact, Ryan O'Neil visited with Grant to get inspiration for his part. He was told by the movie legend only one thing... "wear silk underwear." So wear them he did.

1. "The Court Jester" (1956)
2. "Road to Utopia" (1946)
3. "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" (1963)
4. "Mr. Blanding's Builds His Dream House" (1948)
5. "Hold That Ghost" (1941)
6. "Were No Angels" (1955)
7. "The Great Race" (1965)
8. "The Caddy" (1953)
9. "The Great Dictator" (1940)
10. "Duck Soup" (1933)

No comments:

Post a Comment