Monday, September 3, 2012

SEPTEMBER'S THEME: BIO-PICS

When I began theme centered months, I chose to publish posts themed around my all-time favorite inspirational films. I quickly saw that a line had to be drawn between fictional and non-fictional. As many of my favorite films were not true stories, I chose to put off non-fictional until a later time. Finally that time has come.

The term that best describes this kind of genre is Bio-pics. Bio-pics are a portrayal of a historical individual whose life left a notable legacy. First I must acknowledge that the complete story depicted on film, may not have necessarily been an accurate representation on the individuals life. In fact, many of them have filler romances or side events to keep the audiences entertained. These films do, however, create an awareness of the persons work, though however small that work may have been.

Their have been films on men of knowledge, entertainers, song-writers, athletes, world leaders and even biblical figures. Their stories have been told through gripping dramas, epic box-office busters and even musical routines. What may have been the most important part of the production is the casting of the leading man or lady. If they match up the right actor with the right story, then you have movie magic that stands the test of time.

Here are my top ten:


#10: Hans Christian Andersen (1952)

I have found it hard to think on Hans Christian Andersen without Danny Kaye coming to mind. He was the perfect pick for this film and his dancing and singing was just right for the musical story telling. Some of my favorite songs came from this soundtrack, but that's not the only thing I love about it. This movie taught me that an adult can have an imagination too.


#9: Spartacus (1960)

This story of a fighting slave rising against the greatest army of it's time, is beyond epic. Kirk Douglas became a whole new person to me in his portrayal of the slave known as Spartacus. Though the battles may be inaccurate and his final ending Hollywoodized, this film makes for a great story about a real man that existed during the reign of Rome.


#8: El Cid (1961)

For an actor who played the prophet Moses only five years earlier in Cecil B DeMille's epic production, The Ten Commandments (1956), he certainly proved that he could adapt to any role. This movie began my interest in the legends of old as I became moved and motivated by the loyalty and honesty of "The Cid". Heston's performance brought a lot of power to this role, as did all the other stars in this film.


#7: Gentlemen Jim (1942)

This was the film that began my interest in Errol Flynn. All the other films I had seen of him would depict an invincible character who could overcome any odds stacked against him. This movie knocks him around a little bit... Literally! He was an unlikely victor against men twice his size, but his upbringing of Irish spirit pushed him to the top.


#6: The Stratton Story (1949)

This film was unknown to me when I bought a Jimmy Stewart package of films. I watched it with skepticism, as I had never heard of it, and finished it with an unbelievable shock. This story is fantastic! Stewart's performance on one leg is something I had never seen done by any other leading actor like him. Frank Morgan's performance is also notable as a polar opposite from most of his cast types.


#5: Edison, the Man (1940)

This is not only an epic film on the most influential man of America, but one of the greatest stories on overcoming failure. I had always thought of Edison as a successful business man with great ideas, but I had no idea the struggles he faced to achieve the dreams he had that would change the way we live today. No other actor would have been fitting for the job then, the legendary himself, Spencer Tracy. I can't imagine a Cooper, Grant or Stewart in the same role. Tracy was perfectly capable of bringing the struggle and inventive spark to his performance.


#4: The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle (1939)

I have placed this film in my top-ten, not just for Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers performance, but also to bring to light this amazing story that has been stored away from the publics view since its production. If you love anything about dancing, this film is for you. Not only does it tell you the true story of one of dances most influential couple in history, but it tells you their story through the only couple right for the job... The greatest dancing couple of Hollywood.


#3: Pride of the Yankees (1942)

I'm aware that this film is known by almost everyone, but I had to place it near the top. Partly for Gary Coopers humble performance of the even humbler "Iron Horse" who played 2,130 consecutive games. But, largely for the story it tells of a man who fought harder than most, until he literally didn't have any more strength. This film is an inspiration to all ages! One other item that makes this film lovable is the casting of Babe Ruth as himself throughout the picture.


#2: Man of a Thousand Faces (1957)

This one isn't very well known and I scratch my head at the thought. Lon Chaney Sr., the man whom this film is about, was one the most influential actors in early Hollywood. His ability to transform his appearance and figure was the result of determined conditioning and raw talent that we rarely see in performers today. He didn't just pretend to be another person, he did everything in his power to know and feel what that person was. In this film, you see a large glimpse of his career and life through the amazing talent of James Cagney.


#1: The Eddy Duchin Story (1956)

You may be wondering why a piano player is at the top of the list. This isn't a film about a man who conquered or reshaped the world. It's not about a man who made life easier for generations to come or had a large fan base like an athlete. No, this story is about one mans talent that changed MY outlook on life. This was the film, first of all, that sold me on Tyrone Power's ability as an actor. Here you see the rise of one man from the slums to greatness, all with the use of his speedy little hands. My jaw still drops as I contemplate the complexity of the music that is effortlessly being poured out of the piano.

What inspired me most about this movie, is that I never thought something so impossible could look so easy to do. In other words, all the other topics listed above where things that I may never have a chance at. Playing the piano, however, was something I was familiar with, which makes this story more personal for me. What also puts this movie at the top, is that Eddy Duchin's sudden death at a young age, greatly effected Tyrone Power. Power, himself, would pass away only two years after this film was released and at the similarly young age of forty-four.


Well, there they are. As I do with every post, I wish to apologize if I have left out a key one for you. Comment below if you have one that I have not listed that is among your favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment