Thursday, May 24, 2012

DAVY CROCKETT: KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER (1955)

Studio: Walt Disney Productions

Producer: Walt Disney

Director: Norman Foster

Awards: None

Interesting Fact: The main theme "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" became an instant hit and held the #1 spot on the music charts for a couple months in 1955. Can you imagine a song from a kids movie doing that in our day.

My Mother's Favorite Scene: My mom loves the scene where he attempts to grin down a bear. I like the closing of the film, where Davy is swinging away.

Davy Crockett: I'm half-horse, half-alligator and a little attached with snapping turtle. I've got the fastest horse, the prettiest sister, the surest rifle and the ugliest dog in Texas.

This is another expression of Walt Disney's love for the American heritage. Some of his films on the topic were animated, but it was films like this one that he chose to tell in live action. Every boy in America now had a new hero, and any money they could muster would be invested into a coon-skin cap. I too, as a boy, admired this giant of man. He was a true American hero, who fought the battles that needed fighting and forged the terrain that needed forging. Whether Disney got all the facts right or not, this picture shed new light and amazement on a man who loved this country. That alone is good enough for me.

"The Ballad of Davy Crockett"


My mother's favorite scene.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SCENE?

No comments:

Post a Comment