Saturday, May 5, 2012

WHAT'S UP DOC? (1972)

Studio: Warner Bros.

Producer: Peter Bogdanovich

Director: Peter Bogdanovich

Awards: Nominated for a Golden Globe and received a WGA Award.

Interesting Fact: This film resembled Cary Grant's Bringing Up Baby (1938). Ryan O'Neil went to Grant before making the picture to discuss his character. Grant gave him only one suggestion; "Wear silk underwear."

My Favorite Scene: When you watch a movie over again, there are usually one or two parts you fast forward to get to a favorite scene. With this picture, all you have to do is turn on the film and let the remote gather dust. Each sequence is jammed packed with high speed comedy.
Howard: What are you doing? This is a one way street!
Judy: We're only going one way.


There is no way explain the plot of this film. I have watched it over and over, and some times I'm not even sure what happened. Below is a small clip to explain the story. The quotes listed are what happened right before this scene:
Howard: Sir, my name is Howard Bannister and I'm from Ames, Iowa.
Judge Maxwell: No excuse.
Howard: No, sir, it all started when I bumped my head in the taxi... on the way in from the airport.
Judge Maxwell: Are you pleading insanity or amnesia?
Howard: Neither. I went to the drugstore to get something for a headache... the druggist tried to charge me for a radio. She said her husband would pay for it. But I didn't, of course.
Judge Maxwell: Of course.
Howard: She ripped my jacket and when Eunice came along...
Judge Maxwell: Who's Eunice?
Howard: Eunice is my fiancée.
Judge Maxwell: You have a wife AND a fiancée?
Howard: No, sir. But, she kept calling me "Steve."
Judge Maxwell: Your own fiancée calls you "Steve?"
Howard: No, sir, my wife. Or rather, the one who ISN'T my wife.
Judge Maxwell: What does the one who isn't your FIANCEE call you? Howard?
Howard: No, sir, the one who isn't my fiancée doesn't call me Howard and the one who isn't my wife doesn't call me Howard because the one who isn't my fiancée is also the one who isn't my wife. The other one who ISN'T my wife, the one who IS my fiancée... she doesn't call me "Steve." She calls me Howard. Do you see?
Judge Maxwell: Let's just skip over this part, and move on.
Howard: That night at the banquet she was there again.
Judge Maxwell: Who was there, your wife or your fiancée?
Howard: Neither.
Judge Maxwell: There's a third?
Howard: No, sir, the one who isn't either. Everyone was calling her "Burnsy."
Judge Maxwell: Why?
Howard: That's short for Burns, Eunice's last name.
Judge Maxwell: Eunice WAS there.
Howard: No, sir, BURNSY was there. Or rather, the one who ISN'T Burnsy.



This is our families all-time favorite classic. Quotes from this film seep into our everyday life: "The tie, the tie in your hand," "Your upside down sir," "To remind me to take the blue pill." "You, you, you. Uuuunice, Unice," These and many more have become a staple of speech in our homes. It is the best screwball comedy of it's time and a must see film!

Here is the beginning of the chase scene and it only gets better from here.

HAVE YOU SEEN THIS MOVIE?

No comments:

Post a Comment