Sunday, May 6, 2012

THOUGHTS ON THE AVENGERS

I know, I know, this is supposed to be a blog about old movies. So why do I have a post about the new Avengers movie. The original purpose for this blog was to create an interest of old movies into the minds of people today. It was intended to prove that films can be entertaining without vulgar language, excessive violence, and suggestive material.

On the weekend I watched The Avengers with my three year old son. Not once did I feel the need to cover my sons ears or eyes. That should be a sign of what we should be watching. If are kids are not old enough to watch a movie neither are we.

That's what I love most about the movies that came from the Golden Age of Hollywood. You didn't need to bother yourself with the rating of the film, all of them were good.

Now onto the Avengers.


I have been waiting to see this film since I ever heard of the Avengers concept. Now it's here and the film was just what I wanted. The casting was spot on, and the acting they delivered avoided the corniness of other superhero films. I love how they brought these heroes into the twenty-first century. My favorite character was Captain America and my son agreed. He brought out some of the old-fashioned tradition of the past.

In connection with my blog, I wish to say one other thing. With the invention of special effects, I have seen a decline in other aspects of the film making process. This movie did not let the digital show reign over the plot, the characters or their performances.

They also realized that cheap scenes created to bring in a few other followers could lose or affect another crowd. This movie proves that over-excessive violence, vulgar language and suggestive material are not the three necessary elements in a blockbuster. In fact, they're not even needed at all when you have a good plot. The use of those three theatrics are actually crutches, used to carry a film when the story is lacking.

This film set a new standard of picture making that will hopefully send a message to the future film makers of tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment