Saturday, August 11, 2012

BIG JAKE (1971)

Studio: Batjac Productions

Producer: Michael Wayne

Director: George Sherman

Music: Elmer Bernstein

Release Date: 26 May 1971

Awards: None.

Origination: The screenplay was written by the famous couple, Harry Julian Fink and Rita M. Fink. The original title was The Million Dollar Kidnapping.

Interesting Fact: This was the final film where Maureen O'Hara and John Wayne starred together. Also the grandson in this film is the actual son of John Wayne, Ethan Wayne.





Jake McCandles: You can call me Father, you can call me Jacob, you can call me Jake. You can call me a dirty son-of-a-b****, but if you EVER call me Daddy again, I'll finish this fight.

This movie sure brings back many memories that I had as a boy. I always liked my first name, but this movie made it sound tougher. Probably what makes this movie so enjoyable is the pairing of real life father and son John & Pat in this film. It makes each cutting remark from Dad even more realistic as does the sons responses. This film was a little darker than the westerns of the past, but the soft humor of Wayne rounded it out.

I must say that the performance of Richard Boone as a villain was frighteningly well done. Wayne and Boone had been in a few other films together but never as polar opposites like this. Another addition that is note worthy is Bruce Cabot's as Sam the Indian. He brought a more realistic touch to this era, when the west was changing.

This had always been my favorite western, until it was replaced by The Big Country (1958) recently. Wayne always seemed in charge and if things ever got too tough he would just yell, "Dog!." What a fantastic classic!

HAVE YOU SEEN THIS MOVIE?

1 comment:

  1. I have seen this movie and many more with the Duke in them I just love watching the old Westerns

    ReplyDelete