Sunday, August 26, 2012

REFLECTIONS ON JOHN FORD

In recollection of this last week I have gleaned a few things about westerns, directing & characters. Most of all, it has taught me about one of the greatest men of Hollywood, John Ford. As I prepared for this week and also throughout it, I have been using two video sources for my references: Directed by John Ford (1971) & American Westerns: John Ford / John Wayne: The Filmmaker & The Legend. The second video can be found on the second disc of special features to Stagecoach (1939).

Some of the quotes I presented, came from these two films and there is a good reason for it. First of all, I found the Internet frighteningly inaccurate and unreliable when it came to researching purposes. Sites like: Wikipedia & IMDB were close to the actual truth, but would often differ from each other. When I discovered a site dedicated to Ford I was even more disturbed by its incorrect facts.

The other reason, is in the form of a question: Whose to say that what is written is what happened or even said? Both of the films, I listed above, included original footage and interviews of the men and women of Ford's stock company. I saw and heard the words come from their own mouths and tried, with my suffering grammar, to write it out.

I would emphatically recommend the viewing of these documentaries. Not only did I learn of Ford's world, I learned about the characters within it. Explanations of certain scenes and dialogue were revealed and I gained a greater appreciation of his work and talent.


In closing, I wish to say one more thing about this gifted man called Ford. I have come to find how simple his stories are, yet how life-changing they can be. Ford, through his genius, was capable of taking a complex story with an epic background and teach you a little something about who you are and what you are supposed to be. He did this by demanding the talents of actors and actresses, cameramen and screen writers who would come to honor him. Everyone was kept on their toes though they didn't even know they were actually dancing. Ford took all of this, all of it, and jammed into over an hour of film to teach the world his lessons on life. And what are those lessons?.. You'll just have to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment