Monday, August 20, 2012

THE EXPANSIVE JOHN FORD

I have spent much thought on what to do for this week's theme on westerns. To hold true to my pattern I wanted to post on some of the popular film directors of the west. Then I began to think it shameful to place John Ford with other directors who happened to make westerns. Ford was the western film director. His use of the Monument Valley was a standard in many of his films. In fact, Orson Wells commented that if a director were to use the same location he would be accused of plagiarism.


Then I began to think on doing posts about Ford's "Stock Company." This is the term used to define his arsenal of actors and actresses that found themselves in his films one after the other. As I looked at the list it was much more extensive that I had expected. So I thought to simplify it by picking a few of them, but it still didn't feel right.


Then suddenly I began to study Ford's life itself and I have chosen to create posts on the era's of John Ford. His career can easily be placed into sizable sections. Starting with his silent shorts and on through to his technicolor talkies, each decade was something new for Ford. I hope to learn more on this great director throughout this challenge and portray his life simply before you.

No comments:

Post a Comment