Wednesday, August 8, 2012

EL DORADO (1966)

Studio: Paramount Pictures

Producer: Howard Hawks

Director: Howard Hawks

Music: Nelson Riddle

Release Date: June 7th, 1967

Awards: None.

Origination: It is not hard to see the comparison with this film and Howard Hawks Rio Bravo (1959). In fact, this is considered the second part of a western trilogy, with Rio Lobo (1970) as the third installment. The story itself was based off of the novel titled The Stars in Their Courses by Harry Brown.

Interesting Fact: The paintings illustrated in the opening introduction where painted by Olaf Wieghorst. Olaf also played as the gunsmith, Swede Larsen, in the film.



Mississippi: I hit the sign, and the sign hit him.
Cole
: Well, that's great.
Mississippi
: He was limping when he left!
Cole: He was limping when he got here!


As I mentioned above, this is an obvious remake of Rio Bravo. What I like about this picture is it seems to have more humor and a better storyline. My favorite character in the film is Mississippi, played by James Caan. I, myself, have a long name and I've often been asked to repeat it. It's also refreshing to see a character that can't use a gun in a western. By this time Wayne knew he had cancer, yet he didn't slow down at all. I could watch this one over and over.

HAVE YOU SEEN THIS MOVIE?

No comments:

Post a Comment