Friday, February 10, 2012

CYD CHARISSE (1921-2008)

TULA ELLICE FINKLEA

Born: March 8th, 1921 (Texas)

Died: June 17th, 2008 (effects from a heart attack)

Marriages: Nico Charise (1939-1947), Tony Martin (1948-Her death)

Children: She had two boys, one with each husband: Nicholas & Tony Martin Jr..

Interesting Fact: Her second husband Tony could always tell who she danced with that day. If she came home bruised and battered, she had dance with the physically demanding Gene Kelly. If she wasn't it was with the ever gentle Fred Astaire.

Success: She starred in a few movies as a simple dancer but it wasn't until her performance in "Singin' in the Rain" (1952) that her name would never be forgotten. She was one of the biggest stars during the MGM musical era.

Awards: She was never nominated for an Oscar, but was nominated for a Golden Globe for her performance in "Silk Stockings" (1957). She has received a Walk of Fame and a Desert Palm Achievement Award. One of her greatest awards came in 2000 when she was given the very first Nijinsky award from the Princess Caroline of Monaco.

My Favorite Film: My favorite has to be "Brigadoon." Her routines with Gene are immortalized and I enjoy watching them every time. I also feel her acting is portrayed more in this film than others.

Here is a woman who has shared dance floors with some of the greatest dancers in the world but became her own definition of a Star. I add my voice to the many others out there that she is my favorite female dancer.

I thought that instead of a quote I could show a clip of Cyd Charisse.

*Here is Dancing in the Dark from "Band Wagon" (1953).

No comments:

Post a Comment