Wednesday, February 15, 2012

LEO MCCAREY (1886-1969)

THOMAS LEO MCCAREY

Born: October 3rd, 1886 (Los Angeles)

Died: July 5th, 1969 (emphysema)

Marriage: Stella Martin

Children: Virginia Mary McCarey

Interesting Fact: He is responsible for teaming up the ever famous Laurel & Hardy. He said of them that Laurel was completely intelligent and capable of inventing his own gags. Hardy on the other hand was a surprise that he even found his way to the studio everyday.

Success: His success started in the twenties with the silent era and gag reels. In the thirties he made monumental films that were not as appreciated as they are today. His movie "Going My Way" (1944) was a huge hit that won him a few additional Oscars. In his later years of the 1950's his movies were not as popular as his "Love Affair" (1939) remake "An Affair to Remember" (1957).

Awards: In 1937 he won the Best Director award for the "Awful Truth." In his acceptance speech he said that he got this award for the wrong movie. The movie he was eluding to was his film "Make Way for Tomorrow" (1937). He received an additional two Oscars on his film "Going My Way" (1944) for Best Director and Best Writing. He was also nominated for Best Story on his films: "Love Affair" (1939), "My Favorite Wife" (1940) & "My Son John" (1952). He was nominated for Best Director in "The Bells of St. Mary's" (1945) and for Best Original Score in "An Affair to Remember" (1957). He has also received five other achievements and was nominated for an additional five others.

My Favorite Film: I had no idea that he directed so many other films and now I cant decide on a favorite. To now see that he was the king of comedy "An Affair to Remember" (1957) is even more interesting to me.

As I studied on Leo I was surprised by his talents and contributions. Frank Capra is still, and I anticipate will always be, my favorite Director, but now I have close second. I invite you to read about him and even further than that, watch his film "Make Way for Tomorrow" (1937). I had been reading a book about the actresses of the thirties and the authors named this as their favorite film. I found the whole video online on YouTube.com but I haven't had a chance to finish it. Then I find myself doing a post on its director and I'm even in more awe about him.

Here is another Director who climbed each rung of the latter one at a time. He was considered very handsome and is responsible for some of Cary Grants techniques. Not only did they look similar they had some of the same mannerisms and Grant would watch him to improve his talent. He suffered from a tragic car accident in 1939 which confined him to wheelchair. His films had a meaning, even the comedies, which has made them last on into our generation.


"I don't know what my formula is. I only know I like my characters to walk in clouds. I like a little bit of the fairy tale. Let others photograph the ugliness of the world. I don't want to distress people."

No comments:

Post a Comment