Thursday, February 16, 2012

VINCENTE MINNELLI (1903-1986)

LESTER ANTHONY MINNELLI

Born: February 28th, 1903 (Chicago)

Died: July 25th, 1986 (pneumonia and emphysema)

Marriages: Judy Garland (1945-1951), Georgette Magnani (1954-1958), Danica Radosavljev (1962-1971), Lee Anderson (1980-His death).

Children: Liza Minnelli with Judy Garland & Christiana Nina Minnelli with Georgette Magnani.

Interesting Fact: He invented the Crab Dolly, which allows the camera to move in any direction.

Success: His first film "Cabin in the Sky" (1943) set him off into the MGM musical era. As you can see below on the timeline that he directed many of the top musicals in its day.

Awards: He was nominated for Best Director on "American in Paris" in (1951). He returned with an Oscar win for "Gigi" in 1958 as Best Director. He has won seven additional awards while being nominated for fourteen others.

My Favorite Film: I knew of Minnelli before but had no idea how many of my favorite films he directed. The two I pick will rather be my favorites that may not be so popular: "I Dood It" (1943) & "The Long, Long Trailer" (1953).

As I said above, I have known about this Director before. I've known him for his marriage to Judy Garland and that he had done some of her films. I had no idea of how many big hitters he directed at MGM. Before he became a Director he was an apprentice and learned every area of the Studio. This definitely paid off for him in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment