Monday, February 27, 2012

MA & PA KETTLE



For quirky Monday, my couple to post on is the odd Kettle couple. I haven't seen all of their movies, but what I have seen I've loved.

Ma & Pa Kettle are played by Majorie Main & Percy Kilbride. The first time they played opposite of each other was in "The Egg & I" (1947) with Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray. They were a smash hit and made seven more Ma & Pa Kettle movies.

Marjorie was surprisingly a mysophobe which made her character even harder to play. She would wear gloves and a mask to protect herself from dirt and germs.


Percy was almost into his sixties when he took on this role. The last of the series was "Ma & Pa Kettle at Waikiki" (1955) and was to be his last film.





Now looking directly at Ma & Pa Kettle themselves: they were a couple that understood each other. She was more of the brains and he was the friendly neighbor, willing to loan you anything as soon as he could borrow it from someone else. They were completely compatible and totally satisfied with what they had. I love this couple.


*Here is a collection of some favorite scenes from Ma & Pa Kettle Go to Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment