Saturday, February 4, 2012

NEW MOON (1940)

Studio: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer

Producer: Robert Z. Leonard

Director: Robert Z. Leonard & W. S. Van Dyke

Awards: None.

Interesting Fact: Louis B. Mayer had split up his favorite duo to try and double his profits. He soon discovered, however, that the same magic wasn't there. This film was there reunion back together after so many other successful films in the past.

My Favorite Scene: When I was a boy my Mother showed me the "Stout Hearted Men" song and explained it to me. Ever since that moment it has been one of my favorite songs and scenes.

Here is the true test of a movie fan that I have used in the past. Any time I have conversed with someone on the old films we usually hit a dead end in this area. Almost no one knows who these two are. If you have watched the "That's Entertainment" series by MGM you will discover their impact in the movie industry and at MGM.

A rich land owner sends his daughter to New Orleans. On the ship that she travels is a political enemy who poses as a bondsman. She soon becomes attracted to him and purchases him after they have arrived. His identity is revealed and she lets him escape. On her departure from New Orleans, her ship "New Moon" is attacked by Pirates who are led by her former slave. This time, however, he is in charge and after a large storm they are all shipwrecked on an island. Now the Pirate must earn back her love.

-"Anger makes you very charming, mademoiselle."
-"Patronizing makes you very boring, monsieur."


*Trailer

*Stout Hearted Men.

No comments:

Post a Comment